To be eligible for a conveyance allowance, individual students will be assessed under the following criteria:
1. Attend a school/campus located outside the metropolitan conveyance allowance boundary
2. Attend the closest appropriate school/campus at which admission is permissible:-
a. For students attending specialist schools, this will be determined by the specialist school’s Designated Transport Area (DTA) in which the student resides
b. For students attending government schools, this will be the closest school/campus appropriate to the age and gender of the student (e.g. primary, secondary, single sex)
c. For students attending non-government schools, this will be the closest school/campus of the recognised denomination for conveyance allowance purposes.
3. Reside 4.8km or more from the school/campus (shortest practicable route calculated by the school attended at the time of application from the student’s home to the school/campus)
4. Be of school age (between five and 18-years-old at the time of application), and a resident of Victoria
5. Be enrolled and travelling to school three or more days per week.
Students’ circumstances can change during their school years (e.g. moving residence or changing schools/campuses). Change of circumstances affects eligibility and a new application must be submitted with each change of circumstance.
A private car conveyance allowance is not available if the journey could have been made using a public transport service or free school bus:-
• Where there is more than one student in the vehicle, there are two rates claimable: ‘furthermost’ and ‘additional.’
• Where there is more than one student in a vehicle, and they attend different schools, the amount claimable is based on the distance travelled to school by each student. That is each student must be the subject of a separate application and the student attending the furthermost school is identified as the ‘furthermost’ student; each of the other students must be claimed as ‘additional’.
• Rates are calculated according to the distance (measured in kilometres) from home to the campus attended using the Department’s standard measurement method; for details of the rates claimable, refer to Appendix 1 Conveyance Allowance Rates
• It is assumed that all students from the same family will travel in one car therefore only one family member may claim furthermost student allowance.
Pro-rata adjustment of reimbursement (time fraction)
Where students change school, transport mode and/or address that affect the payment of conveyance allowance, pro-rata payments are made, having regard to the number of days of actual attendance. It is the responsibility of each school to report any mid-semester student changes and the required pro-rata adjustments that are required.
Late (past year) applications cannot be accepted or paid.
Any inquiries relating to this allowance or to any bus travel matter may be directed to Tracey Williams at the College office Phone: 5337 2222.
*** FAMILIES ARE REQUIRED TO SUBMIT A NEW CLAIM FORM EACH YEAR. FORM NEED TO BE SUBMITTED TO THE OFFICE NO LATER THAN MARCH 6TH***