A Great Read....
Aside from the sheer joy of exercising the imagination, research shows reading for pleasure improves literacy, social skills, health, and learning outcomes.
We have put together some information to help students with their reading at home.
Every student in Year 7, Year 8 and Year 9 takes part in the Reading Program. This takes place in their English class once a fortnight.
In the Reading Program lessons:
• students have a Reading Conference (individual meeting with a teacher) to discuss their reading
• teachers record student progress in their Reading Log
• students read quietly in the Library
• students can borrow a new book from the Library collection or extend the loan of their current book
• Teacher librarians help students to select a book that suits them
To develop the habit of reading regularly, and to improve reading ability, all students are expected to read for 15 - 30 minutes five times a week on their chosen novel.
Reading FAQs for Parents (440 KB)